Thursday 15 November 2012

SkyFall, The Merchant of Venice & Pretty Woman


What do they have in common?  All these productions have impressed me with the use of appearance to help create credible characters, particularly SkyFall which I’ve just been to see.  
As someone who has seen the effect Colour and Style can have on people, one of my secret joys is observing with wonder the way people’s perception of someone is transformed by changing their appearance.
My first experience, aged 13; ‘The Merchant of Venice’, Royal Shakespeare Theatre, Stratford.  Having my attention drawn to the Star of David as subtle inspiration for Shylock’s gold cone shaped hat. 
Pretty Woman is a timeless classic - moving Julia Roberts’ character believably from where it started into higher social circles would have been impossible without the use of costume, make-up and hair.
For local inspiration, head out to the pantomimes soon to grace our stages.  Pirate, princess, cowboy, pixie, fairy godmother, take your pick, but to be believable they have to be obvious from first impressions.
What? Don’t you believe me? Next you’re going to tell me that Javier Bardem is not really a sexually confused villain but a really nice guy?
 

 
 
 
 

No comments: