Thursday 28 February 2013

Holidays- a break from the Norm!

I’ve just had my first holiday in a VERY long time!  It’s not that I haven’t been away but somehow going abroad to a nice warm place, while you know those at home are bundled up against the cold, feels very different to holidaying at home.

For the first few days I do very little, despite including exercise clothing in my suitcase, it’s invariably day 5 before I feel inclined to use it!  It’s also about day 5 that my brain tires of ‘doing nothing’ and craves information - I start to read the paper, a book, a magazine and now, a new revelation.… talking books on the plane!  A pure delight to put on the headphones and lay back with my eyes closed as the dulcet tones lull me into an almost sleep!  

And so the pattern’s set for the first few days after returning home - I observe the world from a very different place. 

·         After a day in my office I realised that a trip to an air-conditioned gym wouldn’t be as  restorative as fresh air - 45 minute walk

·         While walking, consolidated the day’s activities - returned with my brain feeling much calmer

·         Saw an alternative way of organising my ever-increasing list of projects and tasks – a change is as good as a rest for injecting fresh energy!

·         Recognised that the air freshener I was given for Christmas is as refreshing as good old fashioned fresh air – windows opened, brain clearer

·         Ensured I had a lunch break, including a walk to revitalise for the afternoon.

·         Cleared 2 items from my wardrobe that have been unworn for over a year

·         Cleared 2 items from the children’s toys that haven’t been played with for over a year

None of this is a huge revelation, I’m guilty of getting stuck in ‘business as usual’ as the days run into months – but by shifting lots of little things by one small notch, the energy and performance of my day has shifted considerably and my ideas for what can be achieved are growing.

From desks to wardrobes, homes and offices, to cars and gardens - a change of perspective can only be healthy – I’m now planning my next holiday, another new concept, generally that gets done on the plane as I come in to land! 

 

 

No comments: