Thursday 24 October 2013

Simplify Daily Life!


Heading off on the school run, I realised that having a wardrobe that’s a ‘natural extension of me’, i.e. where all the clothes suit me, are in my colour and style and organised by function and colour makes my mornings so much less stressful.
Most of you reading this will be able to relate to the school run – at some stage you’re likely to have been on one either as a student or a parent!  The best run homes have a routine; the alarm goes off at the same time, the bathroom routines execute in an agreed order.  Distributing responsibilities is the way to go when more than one adult is available!  Breakfast is usually based on a recognisable formula and can be timed to the minute.  Brush your teeth, pick up your bags and head out of the door!

The children dress in a uniform, thankfully no choices to be made there! What a joy to have an element of that autonomy for myself.  I don’t have a uniform but having worked with my colour and style for nearly 20 years, I have a good range of my colours in my wardrobe and a good selection in my make-up kit.  It doesn’t matter what I ‘grab’ from either, I know that ‘the worst’ I’ll look is presentable because the colours are from the same family even if they don’t match they will harmonise and complement each other. 

My wardrobe is organised - I hate hunting for things and can usually lay my hands on something within a few moments.   Organising my wardrobe by clothes type (jackets, tops, trousers etc), then function/style (work, casual, short/long sleeved), then colour (blues, reds, pinks and so on) I can quickly find an appropriate outfit… if what I’m looking for isn’t there I know it’s in the wash and can easily find a suitable replacement on one of the neighbouring hangers!  I use simple wooden hangers so that everything looks tidy and organised - I’ve found Ikea and Wilkinson’s good value but others are available!

I love the fact that it’s easy on the eye, therefore one more stress factor is removed!  I used to hate clothes, hate shopping and invested minimal time and money in the whole process, I was never sure whether things really suited me….we rarely enjoy something we don’t know how to do well.   Investing in a Wardrobe Review or Shopping Trip will pay back several times over, the knowledge, experience and skills you learn will remain with you for ever. 

Business and industry use processes to save time and effort, minimise error rates and massively reduce cost, sometimes they have to invest up front to get the medium and long term savings – other savings are immediate.  Co-ordinate your ‘wardrobe’ process and you’ll get all of these benefits for yourself - dressing just got one step easier!

No comments: