Tuesday 14 January 2014

New Year’s Resolution

‘Mum!’ said my 7 year old recently, ‘What’s that special thing you do at New Year?’

‘Party?’ I suggested

‘No! It’s a New Year something’

‘…a New Year’s resolution!’

‘Yes, that’s it.  Is that when you make a promise that you’re going to do something for the rest of the year?’

‘Something like that!’ I replied.  ‘Some people want to lose weight, go to bed earlier or have more fun.  What would yours be?’

‘To not go to school at all!’ he replied confidently!

Laughing in recognition of the sentiment, I suggested that since school started tomorrow, it might be more helpful to make a promise about something he would at least have a chance of keeping!

‘How about, enjoying school?  Since you have to go anyway, you may as well enjoy it!’

Then he surprised me by asking ‘Mum! What do you like about your work? What are you going to do every day at your work that you like?’

My response was ‘I love helping people who want to enjoy what they are doing more!’

This question should not come a surprise to me as I love asking people what they enjoy and my children are used to me asking questions such as ‘What was your funniest, biggest, silliest, nicest, best ……’

There are always plenty of opportunities to ask each other these questions but I love our 4 year old’s stock answer to ‘what did you like the best….?’ …….’ALL of it!’; how refreshing and what a goal in life to enjoy ‘ALL OF IT’!

No comments: